Nagold

Trip to Nagold:

This post is for readers who are interested in my little town where I live these days. 
This is the best place for me to tell them about my day trip with photos. 

Today I decided to write about a day in Nagold, a small town of 12,895 with lots of cafes.
I had planned to climb up to the castle ruins (called Hohenberg) above the city.

The path is kind of steep, and we met lot of people on the way up. The path disappears into
overgrown wilderness, so I usually take the path travelled more by other people.

Path to Hohenberg

The view from the top is amazing. To the right you see the viaduct built in the 1930s, 
one of the landmarks of Nagold. To the left is the Protestant city church. 
But the real fun isn't the view - much better with the naked eye than any photo can show. 
It's the ruins themselves. 

 Top view from Hohenberg
There's so much left to the imagination! You see rough stone walls, remnants of dwellings and walls, 
tall, scary towers and cliffs. I took the picture below to show one of the places I stood to take views 
of the town. To my back were the stone wall remnants of the fortress, and in front of me was a cliff.
No railing. No sign saying "Danger: stepping past this point may lead to falling off cliff." 



Remnants of the castle - one of the houses or apartments. Who lived here?? How many people? 
What did the door look like? Where was the kitchen? What did they sleep on? 
These types of questions are interesting to ponder upon.




Back down the hill to the town is easier. Along the way there are boards with information for those 
who want to learn something. These are great for the way up, actually. When you need a breather, 
you can stand in front of one of them and pretend you're interested in birds, trees, spiders, 
or whatever is displayed on the info board.



The board above is explaining the difference between a fortress (Burg) and a castle (Schloss).

Once back in town we went to our favorite Turkish restaurant and had lunch. It was quite delicious. 
While we ate, we were planning where to go next after lunch.




This is the Hotel Post. Duke Carl Eugen of Württemberg stayed here once, as did Napoleon, 
if the guest book is to be believed. It still has a well-reputed restaurant on the ground floor as well as 
accommodations. One can even stay in the "Napoleon Room," where the emperor spent a night.


Most of these beautiful buildings have a story and a significance to town life back between the 
13th century and now. I absolutely recommend visiting Nagold and learning about them.



After strolling around town we decided to meander out of town to visit "one of the oldest churches
 in Germany".



This is the Remigiuskirche. It is the oldest building in Nagold.


I am so glad I wrote about Nagold today. I am looking forward to reading more about its 
history and would recommend to visitors and friends to come and see my pretty but small town.



No comments

Top 10 things to see & do in Heidelberg

So last week me and my best buddy went to visit one of the most romantic cities in Germany i.e. Heidelberg. Heidelberg , situate...

Powered by Blogger.